Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Gabaldon. Moning. Grandberg?

Diana Gabaldon of the Outlander series and Karen Marie Moning of the Highlander series are two of the top bestsellers in the Scottish time travel romance genre.  As my friends and family adjust to me being an author I often get the question, "Who's your competition?"  Some are surprised to find I don't necessarily think of authors like Gabaldon and Moning as competition.  I'd much rather think of them as companions and mentors.  Good books cause readers to look for more books with a similar theme.  Through years of hard work and fantastic writing, they have laid a foundation for new authors like me to build upon.  It is my hope that through the same process I can create a legacy others can build upon as well.  My task is just beginning with the upcoming release of The Laird of Loch Fyne.  Reader and professional reviews alike have been overwhelmingly positive and provide momentum as I continue work on the second in my series.  I have already experienced friends and family who have never read a time travel travel romance, enjoy The Laird of Loch Fyne so much they asked for recommendations of more in the same genre.  It's an incredible feeling to have your story ignite that type of fire in a reader.  Will the name Brandy Grandberg ever be uttered in the same sentence with the likes of Gabaldon and Moning?  Will the Laird series become a no-brainer recommendation for the Scottish time travel romance genre?  Only my creative mind, time, lots of hard work, and you the reader will tell.  I know this, I am up to the task.  After all, there was a point in time for Gabaldon and Moning where there was no series.  There was just a book with overwhelmingly positive feedback shining a tiny light on what the future might hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment